My Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad is so delicious! It is a warm savory bite that will have you rethinking this cruciferous vegetable.
Do you like Brussel Sprouts? Did you like Brussel Sprouts as a kid? I surely did not and I don’t know too many people that did. I think, like some other foods, they are definitely an acquired taste. Eating them raw is not recommended as they contain sugar alcohols that can give you that painful bloated and gassy feeling. On the other hand, having them in your diet can help with weight loss because they help to make you feel full longer, they are low in calories and contain a lot of nutrients. So how should these cute little green nuggets be prepared? Cook quickly and doctor them up to make them super tasty!
When I hear “salad” the first thing that comes to mine is some kind of lettuce with all the fixings. At this time of year though it is nice to have something a little bit different. The best thing about this shaved Brussel sprout salad is that it can be served warm or cold. And who doesn’t need a new recipe in their repertoire?
The Method of Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad
- brussel sprouts
- kosher salt
- Maple Balsamic Vinegar
- blue cheese
Prepare the ingredients before cooking. Shave the Brussel sprouts by pulsing them in a food processor or using a sharp chef’s knife, slice the shallot and cut the bacon into one inch pieces.
The first step to making my shaved Brussel sprout salad is to add the bacon to a cast iron skillet over medium high heat and brown until crisp. Add in the shallots, cooking in the grease, until translucent. Next, add the Brussel sprouts and toss everything in the grease until wilted.
Finally, stir in the maple balsamic vinegar then turn the heat off. Top the salad with blue cheese crumbles. Serve immediately while warm or at room temperature.
Instead of shaving the Brussel sprouts, you can use whole or halved. I would suggest a quick blanch before adding them to the skillet so they have time to soften up a bit.
Try swapping out the blue cheese for a tangy goat cheese or any soft cheese.
This side dish pairs nicely with pork like my Schnitzel or my Easy Weeknight Pork Chops.
If you make my Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad and love it, I would love for you to come back and give it 5 stars!
Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad
My Shave Brussel Sprout Salad has a warm, cheesy salty bite!
- cast iron skillet
- food processor
- ⅓ pound of bacon (cut into ¼ inch pieces)
- 1 pound of fresh brussel sprouts (halved and sliced thin)
- 1 shallot (halved and sliced thin)
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespooon maple balsamic vinegar
- 2 ounces blue cheese (or you can substitute goat cheese)
- 1. Pre-heat your cast iron skillet over medium heat and add bacon. Cook until almost crisp.
- 2. Add the shallot to the bacon and cook until shallot is translucent and bacon is fully crisped.
- 3. Toss your brussel sprouts into the skillet and coat well in all the bacon grease. Sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Cook until just wilted.
- 4. Add the maple balsamic vinegar and turn the heat off.
- 5. Lastly, add in your blue cheese crumbles. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply