These delicious Mediterranean Chicken Burgers are moist, juicy and full of strong bold flavors. Rolled up in a spinach wrap with the fresh Greek style toppings completely take it over the top.
Every now and then I like to have something a little bit different than the standard beef burger. Recently we went to help my oldest daughter move into her new house. We took a break and went to a great little restaurant for lunch. One of their specials was a “Smash Burger Wrap”. Although it was beef with bacon and cheese it intrigued me being in a wrap instead of on a bun. On the way home I kept thinking about it and decided something Mediterranean or Greek in flavor would be really tasty on a wrap. So Mediterranean Chicken Burgers were born!
Chicken in general doesn’t have a lot of flavor so it is the perfect vehicle for taking on bold strong spices and vegetables. Garlic, Roma tomatoes, olives, oregano, lemon, yogurt, spinach and cucumbers are some of the more popular Greek foods that are incorporated here. Add in a Tzatziki sauce, marinated vegetables and Feta cheese to my Mediterranean Chicken Burgers and you have an explosion of flavor in your mouth. These wraps are not only light and healthy, but they are kid friendly too!
The Method of Mediterranean Chicken Burgers
- ground chicken
- feta cheese
- minced onion
- grated garlic
- sun dried tomatoes
- fresh dill
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- spices: oregano, coriander
- marinated vegetables: red onion, roasted red pepper, pepperoncini, kalamata olives, tomato, red wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil
- Tzatziki Sauce: Greek yogurt, cucumber, garlic, dill, lemon zest
- Spinach wraps
- Greens: either baby or arugula
Well I know it seems like a lot of ingredients. You are right, but it actually gets pulled together quite quickly. Unlike a meatloaf or meatballs, the fresh ingredients in the Mediterranean Chicken Burger don’t need to be pre-cooked.
- Combine the ingredients for the Tzatziki sauce in a small bowl.
- Create the fresh marinated vegetables by dicing them into bite size pieces. Sprinkle on the vinegar and olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place the ground chicken in a large bowl. Add feta cheese, minced onion, grated garlic, diced sun dried tomatoes, and all herbs and spices. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make a cross in the meat to create 4 equal servings. Form the patties with your hands into logs and then flatten with a spatula.
- Grill until charred and the thermometer reaches an internal temp of 165 degrees.
- Lay your tortilla flat. Make a bed of greens and place a burger on top, followed by Tzatziki, marinated vegetables and crumbled feta. Roll one long side up, fold in the two short ends and continue rolling. Cut on the diagonal.
Cook’s Notes for Mediterranean Chicken Burgers:
Tips for success:
Chicken needs to be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Make your toppings early so flavors have time to meld.
Cooking variations: indoor grill pan, cast iron skillet, baked in the oven or cooked in an air fryer.
Try a sun dried tomato wrap instead of spinach.
Use a lemon vinaigrette instead of red wine vinegar for your veggies.
Instead of marinating the veggies, thinly slice some cucumber and red onion.
Try my Artichokes Au Gratin as a side.
Pita chips and hummus would make another great accompaniment.
Wrap in foil and place in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Looking for a great lunch? Another option is to break up the patties and make a big salad the next day with the leftovers!
To freeze, place individual burgers between parchment paper, wrap in saran wrap, then foil and place in a freezer safe bag. They can be stored safely in the freezer for 2-3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
If you make these Mediterranean Chicken Burger Wraps and love it, I would love if you gave it 5 stars!
Mediterranean Chicken Burger Wraps
These Mediterranean Chicken Burger Wraps are full of robust flavor.
- mixing bowls of various sizes
- hand grater
- micro plane
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/4 cup feta
- 2 tbsp sun dried tomatoes
- 1 garlic cloves, microplaned
- 1/4 small onion, minced
- 1 tsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 red onion thinly slliced
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp kalamata olives sliced
- 4 large pepperoncini diced
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small cucumber, grated and drained
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, micrplaned
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- spinach wraps
- feta cheese crumbled
Place chicken and all ingredients into a large bowl. Gently mix with a fork. Using your hands create an x on top and divide the mix into fourths. Form into log shaped patties and flatten with a spatula to 1/2 inch thickness.
Grill on medium heat for about 20 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees. Let rest.
Add all (marinated) vegetables to a small mixing bowl and top with the vinegar and oil.
To another small bowl, add all ingredients for the Tzatziki sauce. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
lay your wrap on your plate. Top with some lettuces, a chicken burger, Tzatziki sauce, marinated vegetables and feta crumbles. Roll away the cut on the diagonal.
Leave a Reply